Thursday 7 January 2010

Naviagate

Over the last few days, a major issue has gripped the nation. Or at least the chattering classes.

I am talking about Naviagate. My good friend and colleague, Patricio Navia, announced that after publicly endorsing Marco Enríquez Ominami, he was switching his allegiance to Sebastián Piñera.

It has been a real scandal, even including leaked emails, protestations of innocence, and accusations of betrayal.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. What I do find interesting is the underlying issue of the role of the public intellectual. Is it an issue if a political scientist announces his political preferences? Does it affect objectivity? And even if it does not, does it affect how people regard that objectivity?

I am not sure what the answer is, but my ruminations in Spanish can be found here. (Do take the time to read the comments.... they're pretty funny).
.

No comments: